Campaign Tools for Attorneys
We are asking leaders in every firm to educate their colleagues about the need to fill the justice gap - the gap between those who need legal services and those who can afford it. Created by the California State Legislature in 2006, the Justice Gap Fund is the legal profession's only statewide donor fund for legal aid. Attorneys can contribute $100 (or $1,000 as a Benefactor) to the Justice Gap Fund when they pay their State Bar dues simply by retaining the suggested donation on line 10 or entering a more generous amount on line 12. Every penny of each donation goes to the 97 legal services organizations that have met the State Bar’s rigorous statutory and regulatory criteria.
Here are a few tools to help your firm join the Campaign for Justice:
- Justice Gap Fund flyer ( 121 KB): Post the flyer in common areas or attach to emails.
- Justice Gap Fund postcard ( 109 KB): Distribute the postcard at events, meetings, or around the office. Simply download and print the pdf file double-sided on 4x6 paper, or request pre-printed postcards at CAforJustice@calbar.ca.gov.
- Justice Gap Fund fact sheet: Present a succinct explanation about the Justice Gap Fund using this fact sheet.
- Justice Gap Fund tool kit ( 190 KB): Reach out to colleagues with instructions on how to implement automatic payroll deduction, and sample messages to fellow attorneys.
- Justice Gap Fund facts and figures ( 340 KB): Illustrate the gap between the need for legal services and the resources available to assist indigent clients with this easy-to-read infographic.
- Campaign for Justice pledge card ( 63 KB): Promote participation in the Campaign for Justice by collecting pledges for donations, pro bono work, and support.
- Pro bono outreach: Organize a promotional event to showcase and encourage pro bono work, but don't forget to let us know so we can feature you in Campaign in Action!
- Cy pres toolkit ( 979 KB): Support legal services by designating the Justice Gap Fund or any one of the 97 nonprofit legal aid organizations in California as the recipient of your next cy pres or residual fund award.
- Release forms: Share a personal story about why you support legal aid. Simply send your story, a photo, and these signed release forms to CAforJustice@calbar.ca.gov or contact us for more details. For ideas, visit Legal Aid Stories to see why funding for legal services is important to other California attorneys.
This is a terrible time to ask for money, but families throughout the state are still falling through the justice gap. Help make this year’s campaign a success by arranging to make a voluntary contribution and encouraging others to do the same. Please contact us for more information about our law firm campaign or the Justice Gap Fund in general.
For each of the last four years, the State Bar of California recognized the 10 large law firms with the greatest attorney participation in the Justice Gap Fund campaign at a special reception in October. A huge THANK YOU to the 10 top firms of the 2014 campaign, measured by percentage of participating attorneys:
- Fenwick & West, LLP
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, LLP
- Irell & Manella, LLP
- Latham & Watkins, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster, LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson, LLP
- O'Melveny & Myers, LLP
- Pillsbury, Winthrop, Shaw, Pittman, LLP
- Quinn, Emanuel, Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom